Battersea Power Station has stood empty for decades awaiting development and approval of plans. Now it’s been announced that in October 2013, conversion into new homes will ultimately begin thirty years after the power station closed. The Battersea Power Station Development Company is behind the venture and in charge of the restoration of the Grade II listed building.
The restoration project will come across millions of pounds and will need to include much major repair work before any renovation is actually undertaken. The very first phase of the building work is to fix the external brickwork, clean the towers, do work to the steel frame, repair and replace windows and defeat and rebuild the famous chimneys. The chimneys will be reconstructed to the exact same design but utilizing the latest safety and structural standards. The theory is to keep the building looking the exact same and as an icon of London.
A unique team has been come up with to work on the internet site and the main developer for phase 1 as been announced as Carillion with the architect being Ian Simpson Architects and de Rijke Marsh Morgan. The contract for the very first phase is rumoured to be worth around £400 million and will be among the largest in London at the present time. Carillion is among the UK’s largest construction firms and already has numerous high profile development schemes udder its belt such as for example Terminal 5 at Heathrow Airport and Crossrail and the Royal Liverpool Hospital Project.
The very first phase will be known as Circus West and will be to the west side of the Power Station and will include around 850 one, two and three bedroom apartments, also town houses and luxury penthouses. There may also be shops, commercial units, cultural buildings an d community spaces. FFPOWER When completed the complete development will provide more than 3,500 new homes. It will even produce a large amount of new jobs.
Battersea Power Station is the largest brick building in Europe and was known for its Art Deco interior and decor. It is an old coal-fired power station on the lender of the Thames river, in South-West London. It is actually two individual power stations that were built at different times but within one building. The very first part was built-in the 1930’s and the next part 20 years later. They have the identical design giving the iconic 4 chimney look. The ability station stopped making electric in 1983 and has stood empty ever since. However appearances in several music videos for the Beaatles, Take That and Judas Priest and importantly gracing the cover of Pink Floyd’s 1977 album Animals have made it a distinctive landmark for London.
Prior to the 1930’s it had been for the local councils to provide electric and so there were small power stations to perform the job for different districts and the vitality was used for a certain factory or industry and excess was sold to the public. However as they were small places the quality and voltage and frequency of the power differed greatly. In 1925 the Government decided there should be a single power grid with uniform standards. The London Power Company was formed from many of small power suppliers.
Their first super power station was built at Battersea since the proximity to the river allowed for quick cooling of the systems and good for delivery of the coal and was in the heart of London to provide electric to. There is much opposition on the grounds that the building could be an eye-sore so the company brought in a famous architect to create the exterior. When it opened it had been the absolute most thermally efficient power station in the world. It absolutely was built-in 2 stage and by the full time the next phase was completed the UK’s electric supply have been nationalised and ownership was passed to the British Electricity Authority.
There were numerous redevelopment plans over the years as different companies overran the site. In 2004 there was a redevelopment project in the pipe line but the prevailing debts of over £750 million, the necessity that any development must include a £200 million contribution to a proposed extension of the London Underground, the necessity for a waste transfer plant and cement factory on the banks of the river and the conversation required, made it an unattractive investment and an arduous commercial project.
In 2006 it had been bought by an Irish company for £400 million. They initially planned to refurbish your website into a public venue and housing. The plan was granted permission to go ahead nevertheless the Irish company’s debts meant the administrations were called in at the end of December 2011 and in July 2012 it had been sold to a Malaysian owned consortium for the exact same amount since the Irish company purchased for. Most interested parties simply wanted to demolish the structure and redevelop the land and it’s took careful negotiation to find a firm ready to undertake the conservation and refurbishment, while creating a commercial venture.